Feb 23, 2011

Green Smoothie

My blog is really beginning to reflect what goes on in my mind...I'm sure everyone has their own opinions of whether or not that is a good or bad thing! But, nevertheless, it is where I am at this point in my life.
Here's a little insight into how I decide to what to write about: I usually sit in front of the computer (praying MaryBella stays asleep long enough to make this blog make sense) and think about what is going on today in my heart or mind...or on my kitchen sink (like today's inspiration).  Then I say to myself, "Ok, would anyone be interested in that?" If the answer is "Yes!" then I continue on to the blog, if the answer is "Ummm, no", then I scour my mind...or living room floor for something more interesting.  
OK, on to today's topic: Green Smoothies.
My health-conscious brother and sister-in-law turned me onto the concept of THE green smoothie. (I think it was one of my brother's valiant attempts to make me more healthy-there have been many other attempts that have failed: flossing, working out, not swimming in chlorinated pools, etc...) But this idea, once shown the complete process, seemed to fit my lifestyle snugly. 
Basically (and when I say basically, I mean basically), the idea is that blending veggies and some fruit everyday will allow the nutrients, vitamins and "good stuff" to enter your system more quickly and be digested more completely-WOW! (in comparison to steamed, raw or frozen).



So all you have to do is:
1. Buy organic (or non-organic. Shhh, don't tell my brother) spinach, kale or any other green thing you see on the vegetable wall, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, carrots, etc...and Orange Juice, or yogurt.
2. Wash all your produce. (no need to trim, cut off tips, etc...)
3.  Start with 1/2 a blender full of spinach and add OJ or milk or water (your choice).  Blend.
4.  Add more spinach and other green things. Blend.
5.  Add fruit of your choice (and yogurt). Blend.
6. If you know what Flax seed is and desire to add this to your smoothie you may (I don't know why it is good for you, but supposedly it is).  Blend.
7. Pour yourself a nice little 8 oz. glass. And drink, NOT with the expectation of a Smoothie King smoothie, but that of an almost pure vegetable and fruit smoothie, because that's what you're gonna get!
TIP: You can use one or two green items for each different smoothie you make.  Mixing and matching veggies and fruit is good for getting different vitamins and nutrients.  Blend fruit in to your taste, but the less fruit and the more veggies the better. Optimum nutrients are preserved for up to 24 hrs after blending so DRINK UP!

I have now, over the last year, developed a taste for these "green" (but really purplish if you add blueberries) smoothies, but they still taste a little like dirt to me (I'm really convincing you to try one now, huh?) But let me just say, if you need a natural "push" in your digestive system, have trouble eating veggies (like MaryBella...and Tyrel), or if you just like to "feel" healthier (like me), these are definitely for you! 
Let me know if you were up to the challenge and tried this!  I'd love to know what you think of them!  I think everyone who reads this should at least try it twice (cause the second one will probably be better).

P.S.  I believe this has kept my immune system strong this flu/sick season and helped my energy levels stay up! You can check out a more detailed description on green smoothies here:  http://www.greenforlife.com/

Good luck and happy vegetable-drinking!

1 comment:

  1. That is a very bright green. :) I remember years ago a guest in our home drank something green. I do not know what it was, but it looked like grass and he told us all the benefits. I know there were many, but I have never been able to make myself drink anything green. I am proud of you for drinking this drink and know you are healthier for doing so! Love your blog...and you!

    ReplyDelete