Oct 24, 2010

To Meditate...or Not to Meditate

med·i·tate
verb \ˈme-də-ˌtāt\
Definition of MEDITATE intransitive verb
to engage in contemplation or reflection

Recently I heard about a psychological study done where half of the patients went to cognitive therapy daily while the other half meditated on God as a loving Father for 12 minutes a day.  The results showed that while those in cognitive therapy did progress in their recovery or "healing", those who meditated on God as a loving Father everyday actually progressed more in the six months that these groups were observed.  So, their synopsis: continue cognitive therapy, but have patients meditate on God as a loving Father as well and their healing will be more rapid!

This is very interesting.  And it has me thinking now.  Sometimes the word "meditate" is quickly associated with "new age" or "occult" ideas, but Merriam Webster defines the word much more generically.  Moving past the stereotypes of this word, I can appreciate what "meditation" can do in one's mind...and heart...and soul.  "To engage in contemplation or reflection" of God as a loving Father can do only one thing: transform the natural pattern of one's thinking (which is cynical, doubtful, negative, guarded) to be like that which you are contemplating...the Father (which is unfailing love, holy, faithful, never changing).  Right?  Now, in saying this last statement, I am assuming one knows the basic character of God through Scripture, revelation and experience in walking with Him.  If this is not already known, it is definitely crucial to discover this before meditating on it.

I strongly believe that we (all who are alive) are living in a overwhelmingly fatherless generation.  Not just fatherless in the literal sense of not having a father in the home or in our lives-which is critically rampant, BUT fatherless in heart.  We are lacking the security and sense of safety that should be found in having a father and in his absolute provision of a home.  A true home where comfort, acceptance, love, security and protection is unfailing and never ending.  Do you have this kind of home?  I sure never did growing up.  And truly, it is a high challenge to achieve.

So what are we to do with such a grim reality of our culture and our personal state?  Get angry?  I've tried that.  Scream? Done it.  Live in frustration? Been there.  Criticize the failing fathers?  Many a time.  But all of those things are not proactive behaviors.  They are simply rash reactions to an already out of control problem.   Redemption comes by me changing something, not just screaming at it in frustration.  But we all know the only power we have is to change ourselves, so that is where it starts.  I am a big fan of taking initiative, being proactive and intentional about life and making healthy changes and choices for myself, my family and my lineage.  You see, we are all creating a legacy.  The decisions I make today will define my quality of life tomorrow, AND it will also define the quality of life for my children and their children and their children and so on.

I am committed to not lashing out at humanity and all that is wrong with the world (although I am often tempted to) by being on the other end of the extremes of things.  No, I am committed to finding what God intended for life and making the necessary (often excruciating) choices to live into His calling.  And I know He blesses even the most pitiful attempts when I do it with all my heart, by faith and for Him.

I want to raise my children as if I wasn't raised in a fatherless home; as if my heart was not wounded and stepped on as a child.  I want to live my life as if I had a father tell me how valuable I was everyday of my life.  I want to live my life as if my relationship with my father gracefully and lovingly transitioned into adulthood and marriage. How? By continuing to daily reflect on God as my loving Father and let His heart, His desires, and His love for me penetrate the broken, lost and disappointed places in my heart.  I can't wait "to engage in contemplation and reflection" of who He is and who He has always been as my loving Father!  And I so desperately hope you do too!


Check out Jack Frost's book, From Spiritual Slavery to Spiritual Sonship for more about encountering the Father's heart.
(Photo taken at Palmer Lake, CO)

3 comments:

  1. you amazing wonder of a woman. :) I needed this today. :) "redemption comes by me changing something..."

    one of the things the Lord has been drilling into my heart the past few months is that my judgment of a situation changes nothing. And I've come to absolutely hate it when people combat judgment with further judgment. It's only when we respond in hope and humility and a willingness to get our hands dirty that the answer is provided. :)

    and we only get that hope from the loving Father... :) because Love hopes all things, believes all things, endures all things...

    love. you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just gave a comment and then it got deleted!!! I will try again...

    Meditation: I call it "pondering". It is an act of positioning ourselves in a place to "receive". I am in absolute agreement that if a person receives that God is their Father and loves them and they meditate on this truth that they will be completely healed from the pain of being fatherless and/or being mistreated by their earthly father. Deep healing and complete healing comes when this truth is received! I know first hand how powerful God's divine intervention can be and how He shows Himself to those who receive and love him!

    It is so important for earthly fathers to understand their God given roles as fathers and how significant they are in opening a door for their children to receive Gods love and kingdom inheritance.

    But for the fatherless and those who had a dad in their home, but it was unhealthy... There is hope! God never leaves us alone. He has given His Holy Spirit to help us, guide us, reveal all truth and comfort us...

    And by making the choice to put ourselves in the position to "receive" each of us can come to know in a genuine way God as father and how deep his love is for each of us!

    It is an amazing experience to watch God show Himself as "Father". To have protection, security, unconditional love and direction and experience a relationship like no other... it is a miracle, and it is possible by His Spirit!

    ReplyDelete