Jun 10, 2010

Pride and Passion


Just wanted to blog some of my thoughts today. First let me preface my ideas with a little background on me: I am fairly "strong-willed" and can be "commanding" (that's a more positive way to say dominant) in relationships. This is something I've known about myself since Jr. High, but over the last 6 years I have sought the Lord concerning these traits. In that time, God has taught me how to be submissive (to authority, my husband, etc), how to see and appreciate other people's qualities even if they do not reflect my own, and how to ask (sometimes) or just figure out how others would feel most loved by me. I am constantly working to love others more and give more of me than is natural.
So, here are my thoughts for today: I am thinking about the "old me"-how I treated people, the kind of friend I was, the way I discipled girls, the way I carried myself and responded to others, etc.- and I was thinking about the "me" I want to be one day- tender with my words, loving in all situations and toward all people, compassionate, a good listener, gentle in conflict, a strong leader, passionate and confident in who God has made me and called me to be. Right now I feel I am a mixture. I am so different from the person I was 6 years ago when I began to walk with God, but still I see "flare ups" of the "old me" in my life. I am not yet the person I hope and know I am destined to be, but I see progress there most days. I am a "pusher" by nature: I push my opinions, I push in my relationships, I push to get things done. The nature of "pushing" comes down to one thing: pride. I believe MY way is right, I believe you should convert your thinking to MY thoughts, and you would be better off acting, talking, and living like ME. Now, again, this is my natural tendency, but as a follower of Christ I desire to give up MY natural bent and conform to HIS way. But, if I stop standing for what I believe is right or let people walk all over me or let others determine my responses, thoughts or beliefs isn't that weak, lethargic and compromising? I believe God desires me to still be passionate, but not prideful.
In my mind and my heart I know I can beautifully display a balance of uncompromising belief, passion and personality that is unique to me without foregoing the gentle love and compassion in embracing other people, just where they are (i.e. not expecting perfection). So, here's to all the "pushers" out there:
Let's love when our tendency is to criticize. Let's accept when we are prone to write off. Let's embrace when we feel we should correct. Let's live our lives before a Holy God with a clean conscience, but not demand that others live as we do. Let's allow the Holy Spirit be the Holy Spirit and partner with Him instead of being His substitute. Let's be a catalyst for the unique, very individual process God has in every human life, and let's never try to make it like our own. Let's love and lead others to love, but not require it. Let's follow Jesus' example.
Because "there is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18) So, be not afraid that your opinion will go unappreciated or even unheard. Be not afraid that others live with different standards for their life. Be not afraid, because God is working in and among us. There is rest in that knowledge, there is rest for the "pushers" of our generation to know there is One greater, far more capable and He will never give up.

3 comments:

  1. The Lord just spoke to me today about "testing in the desert" which includes the need for consistent self-evaluation for the purpose of our personal growth. Thanks for your transparency to show us that we all have areas of our own to ask Jesus to redeem in us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So from now on, we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!"

    mainly just wanted the beginning of that verse, the part about regarding no one from a worldly point of view, but the rest is just too awesome to leave out! haha! pride isn't just an issue for 'pushers', it can be an issue for us 'doormats' as well. not wanting to confront or offend because we want to be 'liked' - that's pride too. I think the most important thing is, and you stated it up there too, that we let the Holy Spirit be the Holy Spirit in each of us, to some He levels us out and settles us down, to others He gives us boldness and confidence, but whatever it is, we can be sure He is gonna shake us up!! :D love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy: Love it! and LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete