Dec 18, 2010

The 12 Loves of Motherhood

Recently I was thinking about how much I've learned in the last year...as a new mom...from my daughter.  So here's a snap shot of 12 things I have learned from my firstborn, MaryBella.

The 12 Loves of Motherhood:
1. Now I know what unconditional love truly is.  
Using my relationship and love for MaryBella as an actual, real life example, I am now attempting to wrap my mind around the God who loves me even MORE and wrap my will around loving others the same way.
2. Now I know what selflessness means.
There is something about being a mother that automatically draws you to another level of goodness.  Not in a prideful, self exuding manner, but in a literal "this new little person is of greater importance than me and completely dependent on me" kind of way...in every decision, in every situation. 
3. Now I know what time management really means.
There is no way to move forward in life without mastering this skill.  No way.
4. Now I know what being tired really feels like.
Not much explanation needed here.  I only want to add that it is the most fulfilling "tired" you could possibly imagine.
5. Now I know what it feels like to live with joy.
What a remarkable characteristic to have constantly floating around every stressful, hard, disappointing, and tragic circumstance that may intrude on a typical day.
6. Now I understand God as Father.
There is a part of God that I believe can only be truly understood through parenthood.  Understanding the characteristics listed here as a parent gives a realistic, tangible example of God's perspective of us.
7. Now I get what responsibility means.
What a weighty, unspeakable responsibility a child is.  And equally weighty and unspeakable is the reward that comes with good stewarding of that responsibility.
8. Now I understand my mother so much more.
There is a connection that is automatically knit between a mother and daughter when a grandchild enters the world.  This I cannot explain beyond the obvious: Now we walk in the same shoes.
9. Now I know how disappointment differs from rejection.
 I could never reject something so beautiful and precious as my daughter, but I am beginning to see how disobedience disappoints me. But even in disappointment, love is not an issue.  Love is always there, ready to cover the offense, not excuse it.  
10. Now I see what life to the fullest can be.
I know part of my calling is motherhood, and I have experienced a fulfillment in the deepest parts of me-parts I didn't even know existed- that warms me, drives me, encourages me, strengthens me.  
11. Now I understand God's design in a whole new way.
The beauty of marriage.  The glory of child bearing.  The joy of family.  The incredible design of relationship with earthly family...and relationship in the Kingdom of God.  
12.  Now I have felt the goodness of God.
It runs deep.  It is forever.  It is overwhelming.  It is beyond mental capacity.  It is felt, it is not known.  It is sovereign.

I am truly blessed.  If nothing else in my life ever made sense...the lessons (the gifts) I've received from having my daughter are enough for me to cry, "Abba, You are good!" for all my days.

Today, MaryBella is 13 1/2 months old.  God, thank you for trusting me with the most beautiful gift of my daughter.  Thank you for sustaining me in the hard moments and through the difficult days.  May you have all the glory and honor of my life and MaryBella's life.  Let your will be done in our lives and on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment